Thursday, January 1, 2009

Philippians 3:15-21

Hello Everyone!

I don't personally make New Year's Resolutions, per say...

but I thought this video was cute!! (Plz remember to turn off my Playlist)




How has 2009 gone for you so far???

So far...So good??

http://www.le.ac.uk/engassoc/images/2009.jpg


I will say that I always wonder what the New Year will bring.

Could any of us predicted how 2008 turned out?

Each year when I put my Christmas tree away...

I ask myself the question...

"What will be different the next time I (read: my sweet husband)

take this tree out of the box at the end of this year?"

But as we are going to study in Chapter 4...

we are to LEARN to be content in whatever circumstance we find ourselves in...

Whether it be good times or bad times...

Whether it be for richer or poorer....

Whether it be a life and death matter....

(hmmm...sounds familiar...)

We are to be content and say, "I trust in You, O God, My times are in Your hands."

Psalm 31:14 & 15a, which happens to be my Life Verse(s).

I trust in You...My times are in Your hands....

Do I/we really mean that?

Easy words to say, but do we really MEAN what we say?

The Christian Standard Bible Version (my new Bible) says,

"The course of my life is in Your power."

Think of a mountain stream...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/agecon/WECO/transylvania/mountain%20stream.jpg

Can you somehow picture one in your mind???

(hehehe, just a little help from me!)

You might think that the flow of the stream (a.k.a your life) should go down

the right hand side of that picture.

But the God of the Universe KNEW that it needed to go on the left hand side

of this picture.

He also added some rocks and a "downside" (waterfall) to your life.

A place where you feel as though you are free falling with no support when

you fall.

But.God.is.there.

Be brave.

Be strong.

Don't give up.

Be content.

Expect God to be with you!!

Amen.

Ok...now onto our Bible study for this week:

Verse 15 ~ "All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.

Verse 16 ~ Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Verse 17 ~ Join others in following my example, brother, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.

Verse 18 ~ For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

Verse 19 ~ Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

Verse 20 ~ But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Verse 21 ~ who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."

W.O.W. ~ As I typed that....I was challenged, convicted and given courage!!!!

(all in that order)

Let's pick up where we left off last week with...

Discipline: (If you are a little lost, plz go back one post and read
)

In order to keep moving forward, we must exhibit discipline.

"All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

Paul is really telling us to take a “chill pill”

http://www.geocities.com/vibestothemax/chill_pill.jpg

when it comes to trying to control other people.

We must remember that our response is our responsibility.

He challenges us to view our Christian lives the way he has laid them out

(think mountain stream)

but if we think differently, God will make it clear.

Leave it in His hands.

Some of us need to heed these words because we’ve taken on too much

responsibility for the response of others.


We must take the focus off of what others are thinking and doing

and live up to what we have already attained.

This means that we are to keep on living by staying in the race,

running in our lane as we move forward.


















Discipleship:

In order to stay in the race, we must deepen our discipleship.

We do that in 2 ways:

1.) We are to follow the good examples of others.

2.) We are to reject the bad examples and do not follow them.

Good Examples:

Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.

That doesn’t mean Paul is perfect but it does mean that he is on the right path.


In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul declares,

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

The word “pattern” is from a mold into which clay or wax was pressed.

http://www.cjr1.com/images/custom/waxmold2.jpg

It’s healthy for us to have people to look up to,

people who can mentor us as they model Christ.


At our church, CGC, part of our vision is to be a mentoring church.

A church that generations can learn from each other.

A church that has a strong family feel in many ways.

A church that respects and honors all generations.

It is my husband's and my duty before God to help blend

and help to disciple these generations. Amen!

Bad Examples:

For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

I’m struck by how tender Paul is even towards those he refers to as enemies.

When he considers their destiny which is destruction,

when he states that their appetites control everything they do (ouch!)

and how they take pride in shameful things,

he breaks down and cries.

When’s the last time you cried over the condition of someone? (double ouch)


Because their mind and focus is on worldly things,

It should cause us to cry.

But do we?

I'll be transparent here...I don't...

Word of warning, however ~

We need to have discernment (judgment with a view to obtaining

spiritual direction.)

http://www.peterkreeft.com/images/writings/discernment-roadfork.jpg

and this next one is for you, Darlene...

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/cga/lowres/cgan1415l.jpg


(discernment) in order to grow in our discipleship

because these “enemies of the cross of Christ" may even be in church circles,

writing Christian books,

speaking at Christian conferences,

and sitting next to you on Sunday mornings.

(or afternoons which is our service time)



Delight:

Paul doesn’t want to end on a bummer,

so he brings it all together by focusing on our delight in
verses 20-21:

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."

Our perspective will determine our priorities.

As we live in the future tense,

we will have freedom from the past

and find delight in the present.

These closing verses establish several truths to delight in

that will change our perspective.
  • Our home is in heaven. We are citizens of another place.
  • Jesus is coming again. We need to eagerly wait for Him.
  • Everything will be made right. All things will be brought under His order.
  • We will be transformed. The best is yet to come!

If we want to press on when the pressure’s on,

and get in spiritual shape,

we must implement these essentials:

  1. Dissatisfaction
  2. Devotion
  3. Direction
  4. Determination
  5. Discipline
  6. Discipleship
  7. Delight

What’s dragging you down today?

What is it that you are leashed to?

It’s time to let it go so you can really grow.

It's time to get out of your greenhouse

and plant yourself in the soil of the world

**who needs you to flourish and tell them about Christ

**who need you to be transplanted in their area

**who needs you to show your contentment in trying circumstances

**who needs you to show your discipline, discipleship and delight

Another word for delight is...JOY!!!

(Now where have we heard that word before?)

Until next week,

Debbie G.

Resource:
www.preceptaustin.org
>Sermon "Pressing On When The Pressure's On" by Brian Bill




5 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    What a great inspiring post. I enjoyed every word I read (yours and God's). Also the video of all the children making 2009 resolutions was so cute. Also the pictures make things more vivid in our minds.

    My desire this year and every year is to know God's will and be willing to do it. Many times we know what we should do, but do we do it. A lot of times the answer is no. That scripture that says Him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, it is sin. I tried to find where that scripture is found in the King James version, but I couldn't find it. Debbie maybe you know how to find it as I know it is in the bible.

    I liked the cartoon of the wolf in sheep's clothing. It made me remember the time when God showed me about a leader of a group that he was a wolf in sheep's clothing. At the time I wondered how I could even judge him and say that, but God proved it to be true later down the road. I pray for that group today that God would reveal the truth to them and the truth will set them free. The Holy Spirt can give us decernment if we are being lead by Him. I like your 7 D's that can get us into spiritual shape.

    Thank you for such a wonderful post. Have a great weekend.

    Love you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement, Darlene. I give all the glory to God!!!

    Your line of:"is to know God's will and be willing to do it" is so good and so reality!

    The Scripture reference you wanted is James 4:17. All I did was copy your words that you typed of the Scripture and went to www.blueletterbible.org and pasted them into the search window and hit "search". If I can do it, anyone can. If anyone needs help with knowing how to copy and paste, please email me and I will be happy to show you how. I do not know how many hours I have saved by copying and pasting, but they have to be alot!

    Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But our citizenship is in heaven" (I copied and pasted that, btw, hahaha)

    that would be one of my favorite sentences in the whole Bible ... ptl!

    I remind myself of this often when things get a little c-r-a-z-y. When I remember that this is not ALL there is ... this is just temporary ... this is just a grain of sand on a beach, wow that's perspective!

    "When’s the last time you cried over the condition of someone? (double ouch)

    Because their mind and focus is on worldly things,

    It should cause us to cry." AMEN!!!!!!!! You know that this is my soapbox ... so I don't have to say much except that we shouldn't cry just over their 'worldly condition' IMO, but we should also cry over our selfishness to not share the peace, joy, love, and forgiveness that we have every day! It should bother us if we don't have opportunities (plural!) every day to be Christ extended in lots of ways. We are human, we are going to mess up, but it's a matter of the heart. Are we trying? Ok, I'll stop. ;-)

    I haven't actually unpacked and packed my Christmas tree in the same house/box for 4 years ... so I can't say that I think about the coming year then, but it always does hit me sometime on Jan. 1. I really love to think about 'what will be' on Jan. 1 of the next year. I've learned, though, that my ideas are so much less than His ... I think one thing and He does something totally different and the curve ball is an adventure. I guess, I reflect on the curve balls and see if I 'hit them out of the park' or 'grounded out'!!! Jan 1 always takes me to thinking what was and what will come, possibly! Knowing well that this is not our home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "but we should also cry over our selfishness to not share the peace, joy, love, and forgiveness that we have every day! It should bother us if we don't have opportunities (plural!) every day to be Christ extended in lots of ways. We are human, we are going to mess up, but it's a matter of the heart. Are we trying?"

    Great comment...are we force-planting ourselves away from our comfort zone, a.k.a the green house and "putting ourselves out there" in the rocky, sandy, not perfect peat moss-soil of the world? Are we waking up every morning and asking God to send us someone that day and every day to encourage, witness to or to even have a hands-on approach to help? Are we looking for a non-Christian's need and filling it?

    I pray that we all have the "focus on the ball" and hit that curve ball out of the park and not let unplanned happenings ground us. Amen.

    Thanks, Amy

    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so needed to read this today.I've been looking too much at other peoples responses instead of focusing on the race I'm on (the lane I'm in,not someone else's lane.)I need to live up to what I have already attained,the lessons I have learned & if people around me don't get it,I need to let that go...help me Lord!

    ReplyDelete