Saturday, July 19, 2008

What does the town of Philippi look like now?

Welcome back to our Bible Study Blog. Thank you for all that have contacted me and encouraged me. I appreciate your kindness.

Since I love history, I thought that it would be interesting to do a little background/sidebar study on the history of Philippi before we start with Chapter One. What does the town of Philippi look like now? Paul was writing this letter from jail or house arrest in Rome to the Philippians who had been so kind to him when he ministered in their town.

Map of Greece
My research has told me that the ancient town of Philippi was near the town of Kavala, Greece. That would be at the North Eastern top of the map of Greece, right below Bulgaria. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/greece

Here are some pictures of what the "town" looks like today:

(1 of 18)Greece: Philippi: Acropolis
Greece: Philippi: Acropolis (1 of 18)

(3 of 18)Greece: Philippi: Bascilica B
Greece: Philippi: Bascilica B (3 of 18) (Bascilica means a large oblong building used for a court of law, public assemblies or a church.)

(14 of 18)Greece: Philippi: The Prison
Traditional site of the prison at Philippi


Greece: Philippi: Via Egnatia

Greece: Philippi: Via Egnatia (17 of 18) (A road which stretched for 696 miles through Roman provinces. It was named after Gnaeus Egnatius ((Gesundheit!)), the governor of Macedonia.)

Map of the Via Egnatia: (The red line is the Via Egnatia.)
Route of the Via Egnatia.


Top 4 pictures from http://www.padfield.com/greece/philippi/

Map from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Egnatia



http://www.bibleplaces.com/philippi.htm




Philippi toilets

Toilets!!

Public bathrooms were not uncommon in ancient Roman cities, such as these in Philippi.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/philippi.htm


Facts about Philippi:
  • Founded in the 4th century B.C. and renamed after King Philip of Macedon, Philippi was an important outpost on the Via Egnatia.
  • The Via Egnatia was built beginning in 145 B.C. This route was Rome's primary artery to the east and Philippi was an important outpost along the road. The Egnatian Way made it easier for Rome to move troops throughout the empire and it was the route that Paul traveled on from Neapolis to Philippi, Amphipolis, Apollonia and Thessalonica.
  • Philippi means "Fountains" and is located near the head of the Aegean Sea and at the foot of Mt. Orbelos.
  • Paul preached for the first time on European soil in Philippi (Acts 16:12-40) and baptized a woman named Lydia, a purple dye merchant in a river to the west of the city.
  • In 49 or 50 A.D., Paul was imprisoned with Silas in the Philippian jail. An earthquake caused their prison to be opened. (Acts 16:16-24)
  • Paul visited the city on two other occasions in 56 and 57 A.D.
  • The Book of Philippians dates from around 61 and 62 A.D.
I liked what wikipedia.org had to say about the Book of Philippians:

"The Philippians had sent Epaphroditus, their messenger, with contributions to meet the needs of Paul; and on his return Paul sent this letter with him. With this precious communication, Epaphroditus sets out on his homeward journey. The joy caused by his return, and the effect of this wonderful letter when first read in the church of Philippi, are hidden from us. And we may almost say that with this letter the church itself passes from our view. Today, in silent meadows, quiet cattle browse among the ruins which mark the site of what was once the flourishing Roman colony of Philippi, the home of the most attractive church of the apostolic age. But the name and fame and spiritual influence of that church will never pass. To myriads of men and women in every age and nation the letter written in while he was under house arrest in Rome, and carried along the Via Egnatia by an obscure Christian messenger, has been a light divine and a cheerful guide along the most rugged paths of life."

So...in answer to the title of this post...nothing but ruins. But we have the Book of Philippians. God's Word will never pass away..




"Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away." Luke 21:3


Please join me next week, when we will start in on the first chapter of Philippians and see how far we get...

In His Service,

Debbie Gerstenberger
www.crossgenerations.org





9 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    Your post is very interesting.

    The map and the pictures help us know where Philippi is located, and what it looks like there.

    Thank you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat to see where it actually is on the map. Doesn't this mean we need to go visit it too? ;-)

    That's one of the things I loved about visiting Israel, was seeing it as it is today, but also realizing all the history that was so important to me personally that had taken place right where I was. Now, I have to say, it didn't look anything like what I expected, but after I took my expectations away, it was amazing!

    FIELD TRIP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat Mom!

    I will be following.

    I really enjoyed the pictures and history...

    The pic of the jail cell was amazing.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie or Reach India,

    What does IMHO stand for. I don't know all this bloging lingo.
    Please help me out here.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my daughter, Andrea!!

    Thank you for reading and commenting!!

    Love to you...

    And to one of my best friends, Darlene ~ you are so cute!!

    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

    Love,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene,

    this website gives you a bunch of explanations for blog abbreviations, thought it might be helpful! It's how I learned.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you do not mind if I use some of this material for a girls' Bible class. Thank you for your careful research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann,

    I would be honored.

    I will be praying that their hearts will be opened to God's Word. Amen!

    Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Debbie, I am doing a research on the history of Philippians. Thank you for all your great info.
    I will be using this in my paper. God Bless you.
    Your sister in Christ,
    Rachel B.

    ReplyDelete