Saturday, October 4, 2008

Philippians 2:15



Hi Everyone!

Since we are talking about being "lights" this week,

here are two cartoons I found...
hehehe...







































Trudy O. McConnell

This week we are going to look at Philippians 2:15

and finish our theme from the last post ~ "Whine or Shine"...

Are you a Whiner or a Shiner?

"...so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe..." (New International Version)

Or, you can pull it up the verse yourself and have it

handy-dandy to look at by clicking on one of my Bible links

on the left sidebar. :O)

"Pure and blameless..." ~ seems impossible, doesn't it?

In the commentary at http://www.preceptaustin.org

(See the link I have for commentary on the left sidebar)

they say that "blameless and innocent" concerns the

intrinsic character of a person.

I like saying that word..."intrinsic"
intrinsic counseling
~ kinda rolls off of

your tongue...

The first time I ever really was aware of this word

was when I starting teaching a parenting class.http://fcd.ecitizen.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/07EF21BC-D9E0-49CD-8F06-A9A2011D47FA/0/CoverEssentialParentingTips.jpg

They talked a lot about intrinsic vs extrinsic.

Intrinsic means "inwardly" and extrinsic...

you got it...means "outwardly"...

Paul's desire for the Philippians is that there be

no intrinsic characteristics found in them that would

find them guilty on Judgment Day.

(See the next verse, 16.)

This is a good explanation ~ He wants them to observe

the Commandments and requirements of the Lord in

such a way that they were blameless...AND THAT THEY

were quick to deal with the sin in their lives.

This is not synonymous with sinless, for that is only

seen in Christ!

I think that this reminds me of King David.

http://www.christianmusicalsonline.com/NEW%20SITE%20FILES/King%20David%20logo.jpg

I think that this is why God called him a man after His

own heart ~ David was quick to deal with the sin in his

life. Sometimes, it had to be pointed out to him that

God saw what he did and he was not hiding anything...

"in a crooked and depraved generation..."

Oh.my.goodness.....

What would Paul think if he could come back to earth

and witness first-hand our generation's moral

(cough cough) "fiber" today?

Oh.my.goodness.....

Crooked = "skolios"

I don't know about you, but when I first read that word,

I immediately thought of "scoliosis" http://www.spine-surgeon.org/Photos/Scoliosis.gif

or curvature of the

spine....

very painful....

very unnatural....

very not-in-the-original-plans for our bodies.

"Skolios" in the Greek means the nature of those who do not walk in the
straightness and uprightness that God commands but walk in a cramped
and crooked way that merits punishment. (Kittel, G., Friedrich, G., &
Bromiley, G. W. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. Eerdmans)

very painful...

very unnatural...

very not-in-the-plans for our life...


...in which you shine like stars in the universe...
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/images/content/137159main_FirstStars_top_pannel_lg.jpg

Zowee...where do we start with this beautiful part

of the 15th verse?


"As someone has said we are not searchlights or spotlights but lights in the fog.
Fog lights prevent tragic shipwreck and eternal loss!
Searchlights blind our eyes."

I remember when I was in Junior High...my brother

Don was my Principal...yep..that's right!! But he took

good care of me!

Anyway...I was staying with Don and Rowena,

my sister-in-law, the last few months of my 8th grade.

My mom and dad had moved to another city and I

needed to finish out my schooling in the 8th grade.

Anyway...my brother would wake me up in the morning

by pulling me out of bed, making me walk into the

bathroom with ALL of the lights on...

talk about a spotlight, I felt as though I was looking

straight in to one of those store spotlights that shine

in the sky to announce a grand opening...

That hurts!!...but did I mention that

they did take good care of me...

I like this word picture the best:

"The picture is that of a procession at night, in a crooked and distorted age,
in which torchbearers are going and holding high the blazing torches,
so that those following can see how to walk in this sin-darkened world."
(Dobson,E G, Charles Feinberg, E Hindson, Woodrow Kroll, H L. Wilmington:
KJV Bible Commentary: Nelson)

We are to be lights powered by heaven,

or the Holy Spirit...

not spotlights that hurt people's feelings

and turn them off.

"The darker the night, the brighter the light appears.
Christians are lights or light-bearers.
They cannot create any light,
but they can reflect the glory of the Lord so that others may see Jesus in them."

I also think of the candlestick
http://apostolicbiblestudy.org/images/lampstand.jpg glowing in the fragrant

darkness of the Holy of Holy in the Tabernacle in the

Wilderness. You came in from the bright light of the

desert sun, into this area that had to be dark with all

of the coverings making up the "tent".

But...there in the midst of the darkness was this

beautiful pure (pure and blameless) gold candlestick or

lampstand, (Exodus 25:31-40)

filled with oil which represents the Holy Spirit...

comforting, guiding, making clear the way to walk.

Oh how we need to always make sure our candlesticks

are full of the oil of the Holy Spirit, lighting the area

around us as we sit in His Presence and "soak up"

His radiance. Amen.

Until next week, may God keep you in the hollow of

His hands,

Debbie G.














4 comments:

  1. Hey, Debbie. It has been pretty dark around here lately. I'm so sad to say that I do not feel like a shining star in the universe through this. I am blessed to be surrounded by them, though (including you, Darlene, Cher, and others). I don't want to be a "fair-weathered" Christian as Laura would say. :) That girl sure is not and I am so thankful to you all for your example.
    Love, Marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marci,

    Thank you for your comment and your kind words.

    It is OK that you do not feel "like a shining star in the universe through this trial". Look at the story of Job in the Bible...he sure had his "moments" of discouragement. His friends did not encourage him. You have hit on the secret of standing firm during a storm...surround yourself with positive people who either have been through a storm themselves and have come out on the other side victoriously or know how to pray. Probably these are one and the same types of people...
    There are seasons in our life when we need to lean on others and learn from them and be transparent and say..."I'm not doing well with this". I am proud of you for doing this. Sometimes just saying that gives you a freedom. Now...you may have to remind me of my words sometime in the future, but that is what friends and sisters in the Lord do for one another!

    Love, Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marci,

    You are still a shining star, and there isn't anything wrong with your dimmer lights being on right now, as you go through the saddness of Laura's illness. We all have our different ways of dealing with situations, but it doesn't mean one is better than the other.

    I don't understand why this is happening, but I know we can trust Jesus to see us through this dark time.

    How appropriate Debbie's post was for all of us this week.

    Love you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you...God Bless.
    Marci

    ReplyDelete