Friday, September 19, 2008

Philippians 2:12

Hello Everyone!!

How has your week been?

Mine has been laden with a stress mine field and...http://www.607acw.org/Mine%20field.jpg

I stepped on a couple of them this week!
So, let's start off with some laughter,http://firstfloor.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/art_of_laughter2.jpg

which God has given us to relieve that volcano-erupting-feeling inside.

I promised some more of my favorite comedian,

Chonda Pierce, so may I present Chonda in "Weird Things Happen to Me"...

(plz excuse the "fuzziness")




No...nothing weird like that has happened to me...what about you?

Okayyyyy...now that we have laughed and are stress free, (?)

let's keep digging in our glorious treasure mine of God's Word.


Let's use our "pick" and dig out a precious nugget http://www.mineralatlas.com/mineral%20photos/S/K846B.jpg
this week, that will:

comfort us,

strengthen us

and give us wisdom. Amen.

Philippians 2:12 (New International Version)


(12) "
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling..."

≈≈Therefore≈≈in other words,
  • because Jesus gave His life for us
  • because He humbled Himself
  • because He became a Servant
    http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9132/footwashing1av5.jpg
  • because He became obedient to death (previous posts ~ verses 5-11)...

here is how you should live...


With Integrity...!http://faithcenter.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/integrity.jpg

"Integrity in the faith is something that is revealed in the hidden times more than in the public times. Bill Hybels had a great title for one of his books, "Who You Are When No One's Looking".



It is the reminder that who we are when no one is looking is who we really are. We can all maintain a certain image when we are in church. But the real test of faith is when we are outside of the church. The goal of the Christian is to live consistently. Will Rogers perhaps summed it up well, "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." (Bruce Goettsche)


I have been in situations before and thank the good Lord

that I had the presence of mind to ask myself...

"How would you act if you knew a camera was recording

your every move and spoken word ~

and could be REPLAYED back to the person you were talking about? "

Not always...

but more and more the Holy Spirit is prompting me

with this thought.

A good description of "integrity" is:

"The state of being whole and undivided."

Paul goes on to describe exactly what he means,

by listing 3 life principles that all truly appreciative Christians should embrace,

starting with verses 12-18.

For today's post, we will discuss the first principle:

"...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling..."

WORK OUT not WORK FOR...

Many have misinterpreted this Scripture to mean that you have to work FOR

your salvation. Paul was talking to Christians here in Philippians...

(Chapters 1:1 & 3:20)

Martyn Lloyd Jones writes that

"Working out what God has worked in...is the practical exhortation of the New Testament gospel to us today. I must now perfect this thing which has been given to me. The seed has been planted; I have been given it in embryo. My business is to allow and to encourage this gift to grow and develop, until it comes to its final perfection and full maturity. I have got the gift: I need not be worried lest God is not present and not with me. God is working in me and I must develop it all I can."


J. Vernon McGee writes:

"Salvation needs to be worked in before it can be worked out.

After you are saved, God will talk to you about works."


Let's look at the exact meaning of the words, "work out"

and you'll see what Paul is getting at.

This little word is translated from the Greek word "katergazesthe"...

and it was the same word the Roman historian STRABO,

The Greek geographer Strabo in a 16th century engraving.
The Greek historian and geographer Strabo in a 16th century engraving.

used when he gave an account of the once-famous silver mines of Spain.

Strabo wrote of WORKING OUT these mines,

meaning that the owners were to operate the mines

in a manner that would gather the utmost value from them.

Understand-the mine's owners already had the mines in their possession.

But now they were to derive the full benefit of their ownership by WORKING OUT

all the ore from the various shafts and tunnels.
http://justinsomnia.org/images/death-valley-looking-inside-mine-shaft.jpg

(Seems like we are talking a lot about mines this time!)

Question: How are practical ways we "work out" our salvation today?

"Fear and trembling..."

The fear of the Lord is ~ reverential trust.

Trembling here expresses profound reverence and respect.


Do you worship God for His attributes?

Don't know them?...look in the back of your Bible

and see if you have a "Subject Index" or "Subject by Topics".

Or you may own a Topical Bible ~ same thing.
http://www.thedowsschoolroom.com/biblestudyreferencenave.jpg

(This is not a Concordance which is an alphabetical list of words in the Bible.)

Search for "God" and look under the sub-title of "attributes".

Don't have one? Email me and I will be happy to help you.

Do you trust God with your life, or have reverential trust, no matter what?...

No matter what the doctor says,

No matter what your parents may have said or not said about you,

No matter what your spouse says or doesn't say about you,

No matter that you are having trouble with your children or grandchildren,

No matter that your life has not been the "dream" you thought it would be,

No matter that you are worried about your finances,

No matter that you are worried about your future,

...Do you trust God with your life, no matter what???

Until next week,

Go with God and He will go with you,

Debbie G.


(Resources used: http://www.preceptaustin.org/
blueletterbible.org/commentaries)


4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    I pray your week is going better this week than last week.

    That video of Chonda cracked me up. It sure was a stess reliever. I have watched it twice, and I laughed just as hard the second time.

    Now for the serious stuff. Your bible study is very good too. As always it is good to read God's word.

    What you said was great about having a camera recording your every move and your words about others. We know God sees and hears all, and he even knows our every thought. Matthew 12:36 tells us That we will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word we have spoken. That is a sobering thought. Also, Psalm 141:3 says Set a guard over my mouth , O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. I repeat those scriptures to myself often, and ask God to help me, as I'm not there yet.

    Have a good week.

    Love you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darlene!

    Yes, it is, thank you!!

    I knowwww...I have watched that video many times since I decided to post it. What I appreciate about her is that she has clean jokes. I have more to come, but to see more before that, go to www.youtube.com and type her name in the search section.

    I have thought about the camera statement several times since Friday and it always makes me stop and think.

    Psalm 141:3 is a great addition to this Bible study. None of us are there yet!! To give an account of every careless word ~ I can't get my mind around that ~ do you think that if we ask for forgiveness here on earth for every careless word (on a regular basis!) that we will not have to give an account on Judgment Day?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,

    Glad this week is going better for you.

    As far as your question about the scripture of giving account for every carless word we have spoken, I don't know the answer. I did read the footnote in my Full Life Study Bible, and it said to go to page 1791. It is about the judgement of believers. It is too long to type all it says on your blog, but I think you have that bible so you can read it.

    In one part it said believers will have to give an account of their faithfulness or unfaithfulness to God and of their deeds in light of the grace, opportunity and understanding made available to them.

    I'm hoping God's grace plays a big part in our judgement.

    Like you said, it sure wouldn't hurt for us to ask for forgiveness on a regular basis.

    Love you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darlene,

    Thank you again for a wonderful comment.

    I finally sat down and read the article you were talking about. (If someone wants to see the article, I can scan it and email it to you. Also, the Full Life Study Bible's name has been changed to Life in the Spirit Study Bible.)

    I had a big "shewwww weeee" moment when I read that article. What I interpreted in it was that we are forgiven for those careless words, but and I quote "they are still taken in to account when being judged for repayment..." Or in other words, we are rewarded for our faithfulness in heaven. We may have some of our rewards taken away, but we are still in heaven!!

    Now, I know that that article is man's words or interpretation of the Scripture, but it does seem to me like that would be "in light of the GRACE, opportunity and understanding made available to them."

    So what I am trying to say is that we need to be careful of our words, but that we can ask for forgiveness right away. It seems as though God will take that into consideration and reward us accordingly!! IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)

    ReplyDelete