Monday, August 11, 2008

Philippians 1:12-18

Hello everyone!

Let's start off this Bible Study with a little "testimony time", 2008-style!

Have you seen this video on Godtube? W.O.W.

The audio is not very clear, but you do not need audio with this one!!

Sit back and watch the goose-bumps raise up on your arms!!

Relax and enjoy God's goodness.

This is dedicated to my sweet friend, Laura M. in Danville, IN who recently heard a

discouraging report from the doctor. But whose report do we believe? We believe the

report of the Lord!! Love you, Laura...



Praise God...Thank YOU Jesus...You are worthy of our praise, to you our hands we raise...

You are awesome in the place, mighty God!!




OK...now we are ready to begin Philippians 1:12-18

(I will throw in an "announcement" here...be sure to go to the bottom of the page...but keep reading!!)

This next section (1:12-26) is titled in my Bible as "Paul's Chains Advance the Gospel".

(We will study through the 18th verse this week.)

Paul states in verse 12, "Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel".

What other person in the Bible said something similar?

Answer...Joseph in Genesis 45:5 ~ "And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you".

Joseph saw the Providence of God. Providence = "timely preparation for future events".

He had not become bitter in his years of slavery and imprisonment, but had the spiritual eyes

to see God working in his life for future events. (oohh...discernment, depth of insight like we

discussed in my last post/comments....hmmmmmmm....)

This is what Paul was saying here in verse 12.

The Philippians may be wondering..."Where is the earthquake to get him out again?"....
(Acts 16:26)

"Why does he have to go through imprisonment AGAIN?"...

Because...verse 13 "As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and

to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ".

"If you read between the lines. you can see what was happening. Nero, the Emperor, had commanded that every six hours one of the finest young men in the whole Roman Empire, from the elite who constituted his personal bodyguard, would be brought in and chained to the apostle Paul in order that Paul might instruct him in the things of Christ. Isn't that amazing? One by one they were coming to Christ, and there was being formed a picked band of young men, the very keenest, most intelligent, finest and strongest young men of the empire. If you do not believe that, look at the last chapter of the letter, where in the next to last verse he says,

'All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household.'

Now isn't that a unique plan for evangelizing the Roman Empire?" ~ Ray Stedman Commentary from blueletterbible.org

In other words ~ Romans 8:28 ~ "And we know that in ALL (caps mine) things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." (New International Version) This is THE verse that my sweet momma, Ethel Anna Holzhausen Smith quoted to me all my days. Thank you, Mom...Let's see now....who wrote that verse?....oh that is right!!!! ~ none other than Paul!!!

Verse 14 ~ "Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to

speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly".

The word that stood out to me was MOST....MOST....are we included in the MOST group or we

included in the MINORITY that stays "safe"?

Verses 15-18:


"It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill.


The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.


The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stirup trouble for me while I am in chains."


When I read these verses, I thought of a sermon I heard from Rev. Brian Houston on

10-25-05. He talked about "The Tyranny of Comparison". It was powerful! I will include

the highlights.

1. Comparison breeds in silence. If your success threatens them or makes them feel like a failure, they will not compliment you or appreciate you.

2. Comparison aims upward - but always bring you down. This attitude of the heart will restrict your relationships. You will build friendships - downward - with those whom you look better.


3. Comparison will dwarf your soul. (enough said)

4. Comparison builds walls and you isolate yourself.

5. Comparison is the branch of an evil root. If the love of money is a root of all evil, then comparison is the branch.

I have Scripture references for each 5 statements. If you are interested in them, email me by clicking on the word "comment" after my name below. Then, look at the top right corner where you type your comment and below that....you will see a place to click to email me. :o)

I value your comments, please.

***************************************************************************

Now, let's have some "After Bible Study Chit-Chat"...


Below are a few selections from one of my favorite magazines, Real Simple.

This section of their website is titled "New Uses for Old Things".

Now, we are not talking about anyone's age here...

just items that you may already have around your house to use.

In this day and age of penny pinching, I hope that this will be useful.


TA....DUMMMMM.....(drum roll)...May I introduce one of my MOST FAVORITE organizing tools!!!

The clear pocket organizer!!!

For those of you who have signed up for our church E-Newsletter, you will have read about

this tool with ad nauseam. I have used it for organizing back-up paper towels, Ziplock bags,

plastic wraps, and toilet paper on the back of my laundry "room" door. I have used it for

organizing hats, gloves and scarves on the back of my coat closet. I have used it for organizing

scarves, hats and misc. on the back of my bedroom closet door. I have used it (now, squint your

eyes for this one) to organize our light bulbs on the back of our hall closet door!!! I read about

using it for medicine bottles. Put them up in the top rows so that your children, hopefully, will

not be able to have access to them. (You would have to know your child capabilities and level

of curiosity, of course, to determine if they would pull a chair up and be able to get to them.)

What ideas or uses do you have for this wonderful organizer tool?

Here is one from Real Simple:

Hanging Shoe Rack as Spice Organizer

Hanging Shoe Rack as Spice Organizer
Original Purpose: Foiling Fido's plan to annihilate all your floor-based footwear.
Aha! Use: Converting the back of the pantry door into dedicated storage for your unruly collection of spice bottles.
Reward: Bay leaves that don't crash into the cinnamon sticks when you’re searching for the oregano.

Display Photos in a Business-Card Organizer

Display Photos in a Business-Card Organizer
Original Purpose: Minding your business from A to Z.
Aha! Use: Showcasing favorite photos. Attach a photograph to each card and use as a desktop photo album. Or, for the motivated, file alphabetically (pictures of Fido under F).
Reward: Memories among the memos.

Organize Art Supplies with a Dish Rack

Organize Art Supplies with a Dish Rack
Original Purpose: Drying dinnerware.
Aha! Use: Organizing coloring books and art supplies. Stack the books like plates, between the prongs. Store markers, crayons, and pencils in the utensil caddy.
Reward: A neat way to serve up art supplies at playtime.




Gather Toys with Dustpan

Gather Toys with Dustpan
Original Purpose: Collecting dust.
Aha! Use: Scooping up small toys — Lego blocks, jacks, Barbie shoes, plastic soldiers.
Reward: Reclaim your living room for grown-ups.



Substitute Bubble Wrap

Substitute Bubble Wrap
Original Purpose: Food storage.
Aha! Use: Packing. No bubble wrap? Slip a straw in a nearly closed Ziploc bag and inflate. Remove straw, seal, and cushion cargo. Wrap delicate items with newspaper first. (And heirloom china should wait for that bubble wrap.)
Reward: Girl Scout pride.
Other Use: As a pastry bag; Fill with icing, zip shut, snip off a corner, and squeeze.


Spring as Mini File

Spring as Mini File
Original Purpose: Tension control.
Aha! Use: You can consign this heavy-gauge spring (about $2 at hardware stores) to the garage or the tool shed and it will do exactly what it was designed to. But how boring and predictable would that be? Give it a place of honor on your desk or kitchen counter instead and — presto! — you've got yourself a mini horizontal file for bills, mail, and invitations.
Reward: It's beautiful and cheap, and if you spotted it in an art gallery, you probably couldn't afford it.
Other Uses: Postmodern photo display (for all those shots you refuse to hide away in an album). Recipe holder while you're cooking. Three-dimensional to-do list: Write your tasks — monumental, minuscule, miscellaneous — on index cards. When you need to reorder your priorities, send the cards farther back or forward. When you accomplish something, remove the card from the spring.
For 33 more ideas...click on this link from the Real Simple website:

Until next Friday, may God keep you in His care and watch over your comings and goings both now and forever more ~ Psalm 121:8,

Debbie G.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    Another person "strategically placed for a higher purpose" was Esther. Like Joseph, she was placed to secure the lineage of the Messiah and to save the Jewish people from certain death. I did not realize that Nero had the most elite guards chained to Paul every six hours. Wouldn't you have loved to have been in on some of those six hour conversion and discipleship courses taught by Paul? He knew a thing or two about evangelism!

    Love ya!
    AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea B. for commenting!!

    I did not know that about Nero either and have wondered since my post how Ray Stedman knew that. I may, if time allows, to go back and see what reference there was for that statement.

    When I think of all of the "strategically placed for a higher purpose" people there has been since Adam and Eve, my mind is boggled. We will never know how many until we get to heaven. Some of them have been placed just for us!! How many times have we been saved from "certain death" because it was not our time to be with the Lord. Those guards were "strategically placed for a higher purpose". Paul had to know that he was in the center of God's will because he had to feel an anointing (email me if you need explanation on that, please) each time he talked to them, even though he was in chains and miserable conditions. The anointing "trumped" the conditions!!

    Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,

    I just remembered that I wanted to say how great it was to see a picture of your Sweet Godly Momma when I read this post. It made a big smile come across my face. I know she did have a great influence on your life to make you want to live for the Lord.

    Also I agree with Andrea that it was interesting to hear about the guards that were chained to Paul. I have never heard that before either.

    Love you,

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I just read this and now I see I'm lagging behind! I'm going to catch up... but wanted to let you know I am here! I love this about the guards. I didn't know that either, and I'm going back to read up on it now from Ray Stedman's comments.

    Blessings,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob gave me your site. I started reading tonight and got to this point. You are doing an awesome job of giving details that really make a difference in what is being read from the scriptures.

    That video was awesome!!!

    Back to reading!!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Audrey!!

    I missed seeing you when we were in Indianapolis last Sunday and visited your church for morning worship.

    I got to see your son and your husband and it felt good to be able to talk to them.

    I appreciate your kind words and will look forward to "seeing" you on this forum.

    Praying,

    Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete